As you approach menopause, the ovaries stop producing high levels of progesterone and oestrogen. This can cause uncomfortable symptoms like hot/cold flashes, urinary urgency, insomnia, mood swings/ irritability/ mild depression and dry mouth/eyes/skin.
Hormone therapy (HT) is used to increase the levels of these hormones to relieve some of the signs of menopause. The best gynaecologist in Amritsar can tell you whether you should take this therapy.
Here is an overview of hormone therapy to treat menopause.
What Does Oestrogen Do?
- Thickens the lining of your womb and makes it ready for the implantation of a fertilised egg.
- Impacts the way the body uses the crucial bone-building mineral, calcium.
- Helps in maintaining healthy blood cholesterol levels.
- Helps prevent osteoporosis.
- Keeps the vagina healthy.
What Does Progesterone Do?
- Helps prepare the uterus to implant the fertilised egg and maintains your pregnancy.
- Improves sleep and mood.
- Regulates blood pressure.
What Are the Types of Hormone Therapy?
Here are the two common types of HT:
- Oestrogen Therapy: In this kind of therapy, you need to take oestrogen only. Usually, a low dose of oestrogen is prescribed in the form of a patch or pill daily. It might even be prescribed as a spray, gel, vaginal ring or cream. You need to take the lowest dose of oestrogen required to relieve the signs of menopause.
- Progestin Hormone/ Estrogen Progesterone Therapy (EPT): This type of hormone therapy, also known as combination therapy, mixes doses of oestrogen and progesterone (or a synthetic variation of progesterone called progestin).
The best gynaecologist in Amritsar will determine the most suitable therapy for you.
Some Commonly Used Postmenopausal Hormones
- Pills: Brand names include Femtrace®, Premarin®, Ogen®, Menest®, Estrace®, Estinyl® and Cenestin®.
- Creams: Brand names include Premarin®, Ogen® and Estrace®.
- Vaginal ring: Brand names include Femring® and Estring®. These help treat hot flashes and vaginal symptoms.
- Vaginal tablets: Brand names include Imvexxy® and Vagifem®.
- Patch: Brand names include Menostar®, Vivelle-Dot®, Vivelle®, Estraderm®, Minivelle®, Climara® and Alora®.
- Spray: The brand name is Evamist®.
- Pills: Brand names include Bijuva®, Angeliq®, Prempro®, Premphase®, FemHRT® and Activella®.
- Patch: Brand names include Climara-Pro® and CombiPatch®.
Vaginal dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)
- Vaginal insert: The brand name is Intrarosa®
Benefits of Hormone Therapy
Hormone therapy is prescribed for menopause treatment to relieve:
- Hot flashes
- Vaginal dryness that can lead to painful intercourse
- Other problematic signs of menopause like dry, itchy skin and night sweats
HT can also provide other health benefits like:
- A lowered risk of breaking a bone or developing osteoporosis
- Better mood and a boost in the sense of mental well-being
- Reduced tooth loss
- Reduced risk of colon cancer.
- Reduced risk of diabetes.
- Modest improvement in joint pain
- A reduced death rate for women who opt for HT in their 50s
If you wish to receive hormone therapy, consult the best gynaecologist in Amritsar. The decision will depend on different factors like your age, personal and family medical history and how severe your menopausal symptoms are. If you choose a reputed maternity hospital for treatment, there will be lower risks of any associated side effects.